How We Can Help
Stakeholders cover a variety of groups and people that have a 'stake' in your business. Customers will have different Needs and Wants to suppliers, employees and competitors. We can help you through the Mapping Process to identify:
- Who your key stakeholders are (group and composition)
- What their issue areas of concern are
- What their Wants and Needs are, and what that means to you
- How they influence you and each other (their power)
- What their relevance and impact on your need is
Answering these questions creates a 'Map' which shows what stakeholders can help, hinder, be a threat or an opportunity for you to listen, learn, influence, involve and communicate with, and what your responsibilities and impacts are.
Once you have identified what stakeholders are important and why, it is useful to understand what involvement they should have and how that should be managed. Done well, this is Stakeholder Governance. We can help you develop a Governance approach that can cover:
- Scope of participation
- Management of them, e.g. via Committee, Focus Groups, Advisory Panels, Networks etc)
- Levels of engagement needed
- Instruments for engagement and communications
We can help you with that management. For example, choosing and using appropriate instruments. When choosing instruments for engagement you should consider your approach to engagement (see the Engagement Process above) and what stage you are at - to understand what messaging, tone, platforms, and impact you need. You also need to consider appropriate instruments, such as inward-looking ones (monitoring, informing) or outward orientated ones (collaboration, joint learning).
Stakeholder engagement operates at the tactical level, where we can help you roll-out an engagement plan. We work across different platforms:
- Communications, whether formal, informal, written or relationship-based.
- Structural, such as Forums, Committees and Boards.
- Control systems, such as using existing systems to align interests, e.g. contractual relationships, learning and development systems, HR and finance systems for internal stakeholders.
- Human influences, especially for employees, such as networks, competitions, leadership modelling and internal communications.
We have experience identifying the right platforms, helping clients to develop or amend existing ones, and rolling-out the engagement tactics in a project management approach.